June 2016 Vacancy for Commercial Director in a Steel and Mining Company
Job Opportunity: Commercial Director in a Steel and Mining Company
Global Profilers is a Recruitment & HR Services firm specialized in recruitment in Africa; we are currently looking for a Commercial Manager/Director for our client who is a steel and mining company.
Job Title: Commercial Director
The Commercial Manager/Director is responsible for the overall management and drive of the Commercial Oil & Gas Projects’ team. Taking part in the development and execution of the commercial strategy, actions and initiatives in order to meet the defined sales & business development objectives, KPI’s and financial budget targets. He/she is expected to apply relevant business and management experience, creativity, entrepreneurship and leadership in order to achieve the company’s growth ambitions and main strategic goals. Further developing complete steel solutions and services that will enable the business line of oil & gas to develop the company’s international client relationships and market share, expanding into new markets, product applications and added value propositions. Showing strong commercial leadership with the ability to drive growth and profitability, including the effective implementation of strategic and operational marketing and sales activities.
Other responsibilities are:
- Initiates, handles and coordinates daily operational Sales & BD activities, monitors progress and checks work and processes in terms of execution and quality, including an appropriate check on tender offers, conditions and final contract orders.
- Able to develop and implement of strategic sales and business development initiatives
- Acts as an example to others and as such, in accordance with the organisation’s ethics, values and standards and also guards these.
- Indicates and takes action on possible synergy benefits relating to the departments’ various activities in order to enhance efficiency, cooperation and effectiveness and to improve quality.
- Is responsible for the commercial sales results, is consulted and involved in determining this budget and monitors progress and forecasts. And continuously improve commercial action plans to address any shortfalls and to meet (KPI) objectives
- Directs and guides all sales and procurement activities through management information, process monitoring and follow given objectives, action planning and KPI targets.
Strategy, Planning & Reporting
- Involved in determining Year plan, sales budgets, including KPI targets, in accordance with company strategy and policy. Where necessary to establish clear action plan to address any shortfalls.
- Together with Management and (key) Account Management set up and implement the commercial strategy and structure for new (possible) focus areas, product development and diversification
- Contributes to and helps think about possible ways in which the company could expand, strengthen and differentiate it’s (value add) service, reputation, recognition, market-share and customer portfolio.
- Establish and maintains relations with major key-accounts, it’s projects and markets
- Handling major (project) enquiries and bid-offers, incl. their follow up and negotiations
- Concluding Sales/Purchasing contracts in line with companies rules and procedures
- Maintain relations with main suppliers and expansions on sources
- Prepare and reports on market trends and (development) activities, recommend changes to marketing and business development strategies based on analysis and market intelligence, customer feedback.
Commercial Operational Business
- Effective support and sales management of selected tender project enquiries and its pre-qualifications, tendering and final contract negotiations to maximize business success and profitability.
- Develop and provide complete and innovative steel solutions for assigned large project tenders, key-accounts and geographical area(s)
- Further expand our client base with main contractors, fabricators, consulting engineers, and increase our market presentation and penetration
- Explore new project leads and business opportunities, incl assignment to sales/account management
- Support and guides the procurement function in our AM Upstream and Third party Purchasing, including (strategic) Sourcing Coordination
- Timely and effective sharing of market intelligence and developments (pricing, trends).
- Responsible for maintaining key supply relations and development of new possible sources
- To manage best commercial business and relations with selected (global) key accounts and their international key-projects; realizing sustainability and high customer satisfaction
- Commercial support of new growth areas and development of international O&G office network
Communication and Reporting
- Advises the Corporate Management on sales strategy and its related policy. Indicates consequences of specific plans and developments.
- Makes proposals and initiatives, in close consultation with the Management, on matters concerning the department’s personnel and their actions.
- Maintains functional relations with the departments of Operations, Finance, QA/QC en HR on matters relating to daily operations, exchange of information, knowledge and experience.
- Responsible for commercial management reporting.
- Organises internal Sales Meeting and as such, is responsible for continuity and timely follow-up of assigned actions and activities.
- Participates in International O&G Commercial Team
- Responsible for effective communications and cooperation with other international O&G network offices.
Human Resource Management
- Build and maintain a high performance and entrepreneurial culture through effective sales excellence, performance management, communication and coaching
- Makes optimal use and stimulate employee’s talent and development
- Participates in recruitment interviews
- Actively builds a positive and constructive work climate in order to safeguard the organisation’s continuity
- Holds performance and assessment interviews with direct reports.
- Bachelor/Master Education, including relevant industrial commercial and management experience
- At least eight years of experience in the Oil & Gas steel market industry and direct dealing with end user clients, stakeholders, consultants
- High level (written and spoken) of English is necessary
- A combination of strong commercial awareness , entrepreneurship and leadership
- Enthusiastic, flexible, open-minded team-player
- Able to travel and to work / cooperate with diverse team of domestic and international players
- Capacity of organizing, getting things done and to successfully manage cross cultural and organisation issues.
- Leading a group – Directing and guiding a group of people; encourage and bring about teamwork and maintain good cooperation to achieve an intended goal.
- Conceptual Thinking – Providing wider or deeper understanding of situations or problems by applying another frame of reference or by connecting them to other information.
- Organization – Identification and recruitment of people and other means needed to realize a plan; allocating them in such a way that the intended results are achieved.
- Initiative – Looking for opportunities and taking action on them. Acting on one’s own initiative sooner than passively awaiting events.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply below