Recruitment at African Development Bank in Côte d’Ivoire May 2017
Recent Job Vacancies At African Development Bank in Côte d’Ivoire May 2017
African Development Bank Open Job Positions in Côte d’Ivoire May 2017
Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: NA
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department
- The General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL) delivers legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank and the Fund: Boards of the Bank and the Fund, to Senior Management, to Regional Directorates and more generally to the whole Bank. The department is also protects the interest of the Bank from legal liability and as necessary provide legal representation in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
- The role of the Administrative Affairs Division (PGCL4) is to provide legal advice and assistance in connection with (i) litigation of any nature brought by or against the Bank (including legal action against the Bank through its own internal recourse mechanisms), (ii) all legal aspects pertaining to the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes in respect of human resources management including employment contracts, staff performance management, benefits, discipline and separation, (iii) institutional procurement, (iv) corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of various Bank instruments, and (v) insurance and pension matters, (vi) cooperation with public sector or private sector entities, including Non-Government Organizations.
- The overall responsibility of Senior Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs will be to ensure the correct interpretation of, and compliance with the various Bank’s policies, rules, regulations and procedures applicable to staff (including Staff Rules and Regulations, applicable Presidential Directives and Administrative Instructions), corporate procurement, and delegation of authority.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Administrative Affairs (PGCL4), the Senior Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs will provide legal advice and assistance in connection with litigation, all legal aspects pertaining to the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes in respect of human resources management, institutional procurement, corporate legal issues, insurance and pension matters, and cooperation with public sector or private sector entities, including Non-Government Organizations. In particular, the incumbent will:
- Prepare drafts of opinions on constitutional and corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of the agreements establishing the Bank and the Fund;
- Advise on matters pertaining to the privileges, immunities and exemptions of the Bank and the Fund and those of officers, employees, experts and consultants of the Bank;
- Participate in the preparation and representation of the defense of the Bank in internal litigation, including internal administrative review, appeal and Administrative Tribunal proceedings and coordinate the work of external counsel in external litigation in which the Bank is a party or may have an interest;
- Advise on, negotiate, and prepare contracts for the acquisition of goods and services for the Bank including consulting and professional services, intellectual property, information technology, in accordance with the Bank’s procurement rules and financial regulations, and provide legal support and advice regarding existing contracts or new contracts to be entered into;
- Advise on insurance matters and on administrative and policy matters concerning Staff Retirement Plan and Medical Benefits Plan, and provide legal support that may be required in respect of the Staff Retirement Plan and the Medical Benefits Plan;
- Provide legal services in the negotiation and finalization of legal instruments of co-operation between the Bank and the Fund and bilateral and multilateral partners;
- Prepare, negotiate and finalize host agreements and other instruments required to ensure the Bank’s presence in its member countries;
- Maintain existing contact with legal services of other multilateral institutions and of member states and with the legal profession in general in member states of the Bank on matters relating to the functions and activities of the Bank and Fund;
- Draft legal opinions and memoranda on all administrative and human resources management matters of the Bank, including the drafting, review and amendment of employment contracts and other related legal documents, as well as advise on all legal issues relating to personnel matters, including staff benefits;
- Undertake such other assignments as required by the Division Manager – Administrative Affairs or the General Counsel.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s or equivalent degree in Law and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in similar jobs, preferably with a reputable international law firm, a legal department of a private or public entity, or an international financial institution with proven technical competence and experiences;
- Good knowledge of the current trend of development and familiarity with international law, and related matters;
- Capacity to draft and negotiate agreements of all manners and form that balances the standards and norms of outside parties with the unique requirements of the Bank;
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve their legal questions.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to work with multicultural and multidisciplinary teams;
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines;
- Good skills in communication and negotiation as well as the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of the Legal Services Department’s work program;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
Job Title: Lead Economist
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50075425
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex.
- The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The Complex will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’s core mandate has been to position the Bank as a trusted broker of knowledge in the pursuit of Africa’s development and make it a world class center of excellence advocating for evidence based policy making.
- Hence the Complex’s activities can broadly be categorized as: (i) providing the knowledge base to support the effectiveness of Bank Group Operations and policy dialogue in Regional Member Countries; (ii) Capacity development in Regional Member Countries and Sub-Regional Organizations in statistics, project and economic management; and, (iii) Leadership in coordination of knowledge advocacy, financial and economic governance in Africa.
- The Complex is therefore responsible for the management of Bank Group knowledge produce.
- This includes knowledge generation through strategic and applied research, knowledge measurement embedded in statistical and data work, knowledge generated from operational and field experiences, and knowledge sharing through dissemination, networking and partnerships.
- Under the guidance of the Chief Economist, the Lead Economist drives the Bank’s leadership in building sustainable competitive economies in the Regional Member Countries.
- He / she contributes to policy dialog and coordinates the Bank’s economic analytical work, with the view to spur a culture of excellency and stewardship for the Bank’s clients and partners.
- The Lead Economist enhances the Bank’s branding in providing high standard economic advice to the clients in alignment with the donor community in the Regional Member Countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the Bank is at the forefront of economic development knowledge and practice in support to the Regional Member Countries’ effective management of macroeconomic policy.
- Leading the preparation of country strategy papers, in collaboration with the regional directorates and other stakeholders inside and outside the Bank.
- Developing partnerships with the other knowledge departments within the Complex and in and outside the Bank, and ensure that the highest level of knowledge is incorporated in the design of Bank strategies and operations.
- Leading production of flagship reports on country economic issues
- Leading the prioritization of the High 5s in country strategy papers in collaboration with the regional directorates and other stakeholders.
- Leading the application of economic research generated inside and outside of the Bank, to the development and review of economic policy solutions tailored to the specific circumstances of each Regional Member Countries.
- Monitoring economic conditions and policies in Regional Member Countries and providing policymakers with well researched insights about developments in their economies.
- Provide advice and guidance on core Bank policies, strategies and processes for greater Bank effectiveness.
- Foster the Bank’s position on high level strategic issues in relation to economic governance.
- Enhance the Bank’s comparative advantage and quality assurance in delivering its development goals to the Regional Member Countries.
- Design, lead and oversee the implementation of the Bank’s knowledge strategy.
- Manage and monitor the complex’ economic research agenda.
- Support the economic work transformation venture across the Bank, in coordination with other relevant Bank Units.
- Coordinating the work of country economists in the Bank towards improved harmonization of approaches and standards of quality
- Leading the production of country-relevant, timely, analytically sound, and reliable policy advice for Regional Member Countries.
- Coordinate partnership with sister institutions on high level economic development initiatives in support to the Regional Member Countries.
- Contribute to knowledge generation and outreach.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of a PhD in Macroeconomics, Econometrics or Applied Economics.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant and progressive professional experience in macroeconomic management, Applied economics, Research, gained within major international organizations.
- Standing record of support in macroeconomic modelling and forecasting, including debt management issues in the Regional Member Countries is a must.
- Evidence of recently international published works in economics in international journals or books published by reputable publishers.
- Demonstrated operational experience in a multilateral setting.
- A very good background in corporate services activities in particular in procurement management, fixed assets management for public development organizations.
- Solid experience in knowledge and partnership leverage.
- Competence in the use of at least one standard econometric software for empirical analysis.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Excellent knowledge of the international development institutions’ policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Proven experience in leading policy dialog with the highest level of Government bodies in the Regional Member Countries.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply