Agro-Processing/Agribusiness Specialist Jobs at Agricultural Transformation Agenda Support Programme Phase-I (ATASP-I)in Nigeria August 2014.
Administrative Jobs in Nigeria, Agriculture Jobs in Nigeria, Consultancy Jobs in Nigeria,
Position Available From:
Fixed Salary (monthly)
The Federal Government of Nigeria has secured a loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB) for the implementation of Agricultural Transformation Agenda Support Programme Phase-I (ATASP-I). The ATASP-I will contribute to the objectives of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA) of the Federal Government by addressing the constraints of Rice. Sorghum and Cassava value chains in four staple crop processing zones of Adani-Omor, Bida-Badeggi. Kano-Jigawa and Kebbi-Sokoto. The Programme comprises three complementary and mutually reinforcing components via; Infrastructure Development; Commodity Value Chain Development; and Programme Management. The specific objective of the programme is to: contribute to food and nutrition security, employment generation, and wealth creation along the priority commodity value chains.
For effective programme take-off the FMARD is constituting a National Programme Coordination Team (NPCT) at the Programme Headquarters in Abuja. Consequently, part of the proceeds of the ATASP-I loan will be applied to engage the sendees of the following officers at the Programme Headquarters, Abuja
These positions are open to serving public officers as well as other interested candidates. Details of the requirements for the positions are as follows:
Reporting to the National Programme Coordinator, the Agro-Processing/Agribusiness Specialist will assess the constraints on agro-processing / agro- business and develop a roadmap and strategy for modernizing the agro-processing industry.
- Identity the main policy, regulatory, legal, institutional, infrastructure, and technical constraints to increasing value addition in agriculture, including barriers to entry of the private sector.
- Assess the technical adequacy of the agro-processing industry and, together with the agricultural technology specialist, recommend interventions to improve and modernize the industry, keeping in view labor and employment implications.
- Determine the need to strengthen and provide management support to the private agro-processing industry.
- Determine the need for quality control equipment in the agro -processing industry, and training in its use; and
- Determine the type and extent of support that could be provided to ongoing initiatives aimed at developing the agro-processing industry.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Marketing or Business Management. A Master’s degree in any one of these areas is added advantage.
- At least 10 years’ experience in farm planning and economic analysis with extensive experience in small to medium scale agro-enterprise management. He/She will have extensive practical experience in the domestic agro-processing industry. Experience with externally funded development programs would be desirable, preferably with experience in market oriented projects,
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, monitor, and report on his/her own work plan.
- Self-motivated, team player, able to work with minimum supervision
- Willingness to work in rural settings with a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and community outreach skills.
- Computer literate with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel).
- Familiarity with results-based management.
- Working knowledge of the operational modalities for national and international NGOs is desirable.
Procedures for implementation of agro-processing and marketing improvement activities (which are consistent with the appraisal report) are prepared and included in draft Project Implementation Manual within one month of assumption of duty or as agreed with project management.
Annual Work plan and Budget (AWPB) for agro-processing and marketing improvement activities prepared in accordance with recommended format and submitted to M&E officer within the agreed time after assumption of duty and thereafter every 5th Day of October.
Schedule of required Consultants’ and/or other Agency services for agro-processing and marketing improvement activities prepared and provided to procurement specialist for inclusion in the procurement plans on quarterly and annual basis,
Specific and Quantifiable quarterly milestones (in implementation of agro-processing and marketing improvement activities as well as associated environmental management activities) agreed with Project Management within 5 days prior to die beginning of each quarter on the basis of the approved AWPB.
- Acceptable Terms of Reference or, as applicable. Specifications for procurement of goods, and sendees in respect of agro-processing and marketing improvement activities prepared in time to ensure compliancy with approved procurement plans.
- Agro-processing and marketing improvement sendees contracts between PCT and sen ice providers or other government agencies are efficiently supervised, and implemented: acceptable deliverables obtained and contracts are completed on time. Consultant’s Reports or Contractor’s/Suppliers bids or claims in respect of agro-processing and marketing improvement activities, reviewed and report/recommendations .submitted, to management within 5 days of receipt of the reports or suppliers’ claims.
- Field visit reports on agro-processing and marketing improvement activities submitted to management within a maximum of two (2) days of returning from the field visit.
- Agro-processing and marketing improvement activities Progress Reports prepared in recommended/agreed format; (i) Quarterly and Annual report within five (5) days of the end of the quarter or year; (ii) monthly reports for management within two (2) days of the end of the month; (iii) Reports for Bank supervision mission s within a maximum of two (2) days of arrival of the mission.
- Management/or bank queries on agro-processing and marketing improvement activities responded to within a maximum of two (2) days of notification.
- Clear and measurable quarterly performance targets/milestones agreed with the National project Coordinator at the beginning of each quarter. Performance appraisal form completed and submitted to Project Coordinator by 5th of June and 5th of January every year.
Failure to satisfy agreed quarterly progress criteria and subsequent failure to satisfy above global criteria and/or non conformity to the prescribed plans, rides and standards, without documentary evidence for reasons thereof shall disqualify the Agro-Processing Agribusiness Specialist from the post and lead to the cessation of the contract.
Terms of Appointment:
- Maximum of five years, renewable every year subject to satisfactory performance. The performance criteria will be the indicators for assessing every officer.
- Applications are invited from suitable qualified candidates. Each candidate should submit ten (10) copies of his/her application. Qualified women candidates are highly encouraged to apply. All applications should be addressed to:
The Honourable Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development
Attention: The Director, Department of Rural Development No. 1 Capital Drive, FCDA Secretariat, Area 11, Garki, Abuja
All applications must be addressed and delivered to the above address not later than 29th September, 2014. Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants should ensure that the positions applied for are clearly written on the top right hand side of the envelopes.