March 2016 Graduate Clerical Assistant Recruitment at the British Deputy High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Clerical Assistant
Ref.: 03/16 ABJ
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: A2 (L)
Job type: Permanent
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
- Act as Defence Section Clerical Assistant, responsible for the routine registry duties and direct administration support.
- Day to day running of section accounts which include raising payment vouchers, paying invoices, organising entertainment expense authorisation, cash collection and refunds.
- Ensuring all payments are authorised correctly and allocated to relevant sub accounts.
- Complete monthly and quarterly budget returns. Clear audit trail for audit purposes.
- Maintain a monthly account spreadsheet and ensure copies are sent to HOCS FIN & IPP.
- Ensuring the Section is kept abreast of budgetary constraints against expenditure.
- Carry out comparative cross- referencing of monthly report issued by Accounts Section against the Defence expenditure, investigating where discrepancies occur.
- Arranging travel for Defence Section, including preparation and monitoring of allowances.
- Maintenance of Section registry (including filing, reproduction and despatch of documents), library and stationery supplies.
- Recording driver’s overtime and calculating overtime payment.
- Maintenance of vehicle log book and production of fuel and mileage statistics.
- Maintenance of leave register. Advise Locally Engaged staff leave to FCO Personnel Department.
- Responsible for updating the INSA folder on shared drive.
- Managing Defence Section Drivers
- Assist with the facilitation of visa applications as directed by ADA.
- Provide assistance to the ADA in the processing of visiting RAF and VIP flights, arranging diplomatic clearances and related administrative tasks as required.
- Assistance to the Section arranging diplomatic clearance and administration of incoming HM ships.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Finance experience
Essential qualifications and experience:
- Previous Human Resources experience is desirable
- Mature, self-motivated, able to work independently
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- Able to multi-task and work under pressure
- Detail orientated
- IT Literate is a must
- Accounts experience desirable
- Team player
- The incumbent should be prepared to help wherever required on a variety of different topics even if this falls outside the strict job specification. Reliability, initiative and a high degree of responsibility and security are essential.
- As a representative of a small OGD in the Chancery, an ability to get on with others is necessary
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Application Closing Date
10th March, 2016.
1st May, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Nigerian employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.