June 2017 American University of Nigeria Recruitment for Graduate Research Officers
Research Officer Current Vacancy in Yola
Recent Job For Research Officer in Yola
The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
This position is a local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria. We are seeking for a motivated, suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Officer
Department: School of Arts and Science
Summary of Position
- The Research Officer will supports the Chair of Petroleum Chemistry Department and will be responsible for regular operation of laboratory equipment in Petroleum Chemistry Laboratory, and also support students and faculty research work.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Ensure the smooth operation of equipment in the laboratory. The equipment in the research laboratory include, Flash elemental analyzer, Gas chromatography, Flash point tester, Flame Photometer, Cloud & Pour Points Tester, Bomb calorimeter and Atomic absorption Spectrophotometer.
- Assist in undergraduate laboratory sections of Analytical, Physical and General Chemistry classes.
- Support for senior research students and faculty research work.
- Promote the department’s research and scholarly activities by presenting research findings in seminars and conferences.
- Contribute to AUN’s community service and development.
- Installation and maintenance of equipment in the Research laboratory.
- Other duties as assigned by the School Dean and Department Chair.
Requirements for the Position
- A minimum of two (2) years’ work experience with at least one (1) years of relevant experience in research and other student support services is an advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry/Petroleum Chemistry.
- Familiarity and expertise with information technology, including administrative software systems and Microsoft Office; knowledge of databases preferred.
- Ability to work with confidential material with integrity and discretion.
- Ability to thrive in diverse environments and strong cross cultural communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; ability to manage multiple tasks at once, organized and detail oriented.
- Sound understanding of student development theory, and success in working collaboratively with faculty, administrators, and students; working with at-risk populations a plus.
- Ability to carry out troubleshooting on major equipment.
- A clear understanding of professional boundaries and acceptable ethical behavior – including, but not limited to, appropriate relationships with students.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators and other staff members;
- Ability to make balanced judgments and decisions;
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, presentation and planning skills.
- Attentive listening skills
- Some evening and weekend hours required; vacation time limited during peak times.
- The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal-opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, creed, color, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion, and marital status.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidiated should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: [email protected] before the closing date of this publication.
Application Deadline: 3rd July, 2017.