Job Title: Regional Program Manager: Nigeria & the Lake Chad Basin
Lead and grow CIVIC’s work in Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region
- The RPM will lead CIVIC’s project to strengthen civilian protection policy, practice, and training of the Nigerian government and military, regional civil society groups, and the multi-national joint task force.
- The RPM will provide strategic guidance and management of CIVIC’s Nigeria and LCB program portfolio with core responsibilities including program startup; liaising with senior government, military, and civil society leaders; convening stakeholders; representation, training, and advocacy on civilian protection and harm mitigation; writing and research; compliance and reporting; and work with SPM to develop medium-term strategy, advance program goals, deliver ambitious work-plan, and identify new opportunities.
- Work with SPM, in-country team, and Nigeria Program Officer to design, manage, and implement programs in support of CIVIC’s Nigeria program;
- Travel regularly (with CIVIC staff and alone) across northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region (Chad, Cameroon, and Niger) to maximize the effectiveness of CIVIC’s work;
- Build new partnerships with government and military officials and like-minded NGOs;
- Convene roundtable discussions and conduct assessments to inform fresh policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection;
- Research and draft publications (reports, briefing papers, etc) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s Nigeria work;
- Write op-eds, blogs, and articles highlighting issues important to CIVIC when possible;
- Speak with media about our work in the region;
- Work with ED, Senior Program Manager, and Development team to identify possible funding opportunities for program work;
- Represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Lead the design and implementation of scenario-based training programs for security forces engaged in operations in Nigeria;
- Build strong working relationships with the Nigerian government and the Lake Chad Basin Commission and security forces (including Multinational Joint Task Force-MNJTF) to advance CIVIC’s mission through strategic partnerships;
- Lead the development and implementation of the Nigeria program strategy within CIVIC’s overall organizational strategy by consulting with staff, partner, and other interested parties;
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, build partnerships, and implement projects in stressful environments;
- Knowledge of Nigeria & the Lake Chad Basin region including related to the conflict with Boko Haram;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills;
- Experience in security force training and participatory facilitation preferred.
- Experience managing teams from different backgrounds and interfacing with field and HQ-based staff required.
- In-depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Experience in Nigeria and/or conflict-affected regions of West Africa implementing programs engaging a broad range of stakeholders;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Effective leader and manager, hard-working, relentless passion for civilian protection and finding creative solutions to complex security challenges;
- B.A. in International Affairs, Political Science, African Studies, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred;
- Demonstrated tireless work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in French strongly preferred. Proficiency in Hausa or Fulani preferred.
- Minimum 10-12 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required, including work in active and recently active conflict zones;
- Minimum 5 years managing international development, human rights, and/or peacebuilding projects and teams.
- Minimum 3 years relevant field experience;
Remuneration and Benefit
- Commensurate with experience
- CIVIC offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance, 403b retirement plan with employer contribution, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Applicants should send their Resume, an unedited writing sample (maximum 5 pages), and a Cover letter describing your motivations for applying to: firstname.lastname@example.org Candidate should write ATTN: Regional Program Manager in the subject line.
Note: Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.