June 2017 Latest Job Vacancies at Mercy Corps for Deputy Finance Managers in Abuja
Deputy Finance Managers New Job in Abuja,June 2017
Job Opening For Deputy Finance Managers in Abuja,June 2017
and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Finance Manager
Program / Department Summary
- The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) Programme is an initiative to improve learning outcomes and the economic status of marginalized adolescent girls aged 16-19 in the Northern Nigerian states of Kano and Kaduna, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and the metropolis of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Beneficiaries will be integrated into value chains as well as conduct other market-driven employment opportunities. ENGINE 11 will also work with girls in formal and informal education to increase their learning opportunities and outcomes to prepare them for future economic activities and work in the policy environment to provide an enabling environment for girls to flourish in their chosen pathways.
- Mercy Corps Nigeria is leading the implementation of ENGINE 11 project with new and innovative solutions to scale up existing interventions to deliver quality education and skills to the hardest to reach girls. Mercy Corps will collaborate with other stakeholders for the implementation of the ENGINE 11 program, including the Nigerian Ministry of Education, Central Bank, National Youth Service Corps and as well as private sector actors.
- ENGINE through funding from the UK Department for International Development’s Girls Education Challenge, the Coca-Cola Company and other stakeholders supported over 18,000 marginalized girls to reduce education and financial barriers in its first implementation phase. In its second phase, ENGINE 11 will facilitate transition of these girls into functional literacy, numeracy and scale up their business opportunities and linkages.
- ENGINE 11 will further increase girls’ and young women’s access to (1) financial education and life skills; (2) peer to peer networks and mentoring; and (3) direct assets (materials and savings).
General Position Summary
- The Deputy Finance Manager will ensure compliance with donors regular as well Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures.
- S/he will also be responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria country including accounting, banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance as it relates to ENGINE project.
- The Deputy Finance Manager will ensure accuracy and completeness of the project accounting roles and will have primary responsibility for managing the accounting cycle and sub award management of the project.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to project.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- Manage accounting process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub journals and all supporting documentation.
- Review sub journals and upload data to the general ledger on Navigator
- Set-up and update the sub-award card on Navigator
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software
- Assist in the training and support of all finance staff in partners offices
- Monitor cash and bank balance and accounts consolidation
- Conduct sub grantee pre-award assessment and recommend modifications to sub grantee agreements.
- Support documentation in all ENGINE states (partners) offices
- Conduct sub grantee assessment and preparation of sub grantee agreement
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to program strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries :
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 6 years field experience of general ledger accounting (at least 4 years experience in NGO setting).
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Effective skills in coordination, organization and prioritization as well as in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to work and solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Prior management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of DFID other donor regulations
- English proficiency required with excellent written and oral skills.
- The successful candidate will combine exceptional leadership, management and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to engage adolescent girls in informal education and skills building linked with private sector entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in a culturally and religiously conservative environment.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours .Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org All applications must include the position title in the subject line.