Latest Job At Save the Children Nigeria for a WASH Officer in Lagos June 2016
Career Opening: WASH Officer Save the Children Nigeria in Lagos June 2016
treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Reports to: WASH Adviser
- The position of WASH Officer under the SDI project will support the implementation of activities as it relates to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in the context the 7 point plan and overall achievement of output 1.1 and 1.2 of this project require to address diarrhoea prevention and management.
- Activities planned to achieve output 1.2 are primarily focused on contributing to the elimination of open defecation in Shomolu LGA.
- The WASH Officer will support all effort design under the SDI programme to substantially reduce open defecation across the target LGA.
- The preferred candidate will support effort at strengthening the capacity of specific community structures, government institutions in coordination with other peer organizations to ensure the sustenance of the SDI intervention.
- In the regard, the availability of adequate and safe drinking water is crucial to the reduction of water borne diseases, such as diarrhoea.
- During the assessment of Shomolu, the target LGA, it was observed that the vast majority of the communities have no or poor access to safe drinking water.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Under the direct supervision of the WASH Adviser, support;
- Effective and timely implementation of all interventions outlined under output 1.1, 1.2 and any other related and cross cutting programme activities related to WASH on the SDI project.
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project specific operational researches, including baseline and end line evaluation related WASH on the SDI signature project
- Work closely with State/LGA authorities to ensure all WASH interventions deployed in the communities, facilities and schools alignment with the 7 point plan aimed at the prevention and management of diarrhoea.
- Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings meets the standard required to facilitate provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates to open defecation free (ODF) regime.
- Be able to systemically review DIP/budget and other key implementation tools with the hope of initiating innovative approaches that will open new frontiers for learning on the 7 point plan.
Technical and Advisory Support:
- Provide technical support and timely feedback to State and LGA teams on WASH strategies outlined in the signature project.
- Identify other opportunities in an ongoing manner that will add value to the overarching strategy of the signature project.
- Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports of activities relates to WASH KPIs/indicators; including documentation of key lessons learnt and successes stories.
- Lead and contribute to the development of publications for peer-reviewed journals.
- Support M&E of WASH activities in coordination with relevant stakeholders.
- Build capacity of field staff, partners and government personnel WASH interventions and practice.
Planning, Documentation and Budgeting:
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to WASH.
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for WASH activities programme in Lagos State
- Collaborate with relevant ministries and other relevant partners at the state, local government and community levels to ensure integration and high level implementation of all WASH activities on the signature project.
- Participate in developing different levels of progress report and supporting PQA on WASH interventions.
Representation and Relationships
- Actively participate in State/LGA level technical working groups on WASH relevant to policy forums.
- Actively contribute to national policies/strategies on WASH.
- Support advocacy colleagues with technical messaging on WASH, external reports and publications.
- Work closely with other thematic teams in Nigeria Country office and the Lagos State offices in support of SDI signature project.
- Ensure the maintenance of healthy partnerships with relevant government counterparts and other partners at Federal, State, Local government level in the community in the management of WASH related interventions.
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills, Experience and Education
- A development worker with postgraduate qualification in public health with specialisation in environment or health education. Other related post graduate qualifications related to water and sanitations with at least 3 years progressive experience in WASH programming will be giving priority consideration.
- Essential: Demonstrable management experience and very good understanding of child survival issues, school health and common childhood illnesses in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of safe water and hygiene practice in Nigeria will be added advantage.
- Desirable: Experience in community based interventions in Nigeria
- Desirable: Master trainer and good facilitator.
- Desirable: analytical & research skills, experience in conducting health systems research, ability to analyse data using SPSS/ EPInfo/ STATA etc
- Essential: basic training in WASH programming
- Essential: at least 3 years programming experience with I/NGO in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, programmes and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Work experience in health/public health and or in a health/public health organisation, including as a trainer.
- Experience with providing institutional support and technical assistance to development partners, government/community institutions
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th July, 2016.