October 2016 Vacancy At The International Rescue Committee for a Communications and Advocacy Manager
Available Position: Communications and Advocacy Manager in Lagos
youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Advocacy Manager
Sector: Advocacy & Government Relations
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager is directly supervised by the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) but will work in close collaboration with the Country Director (CD) in regards to external communications and advocacy pieces.
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager will also work in close collaboration with various IRC program coordinators and managers to maintain strong understanding of the IRC’s priorities and programs as well as on-going needs in the NE.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri with occasional travel to Yola, Mubi, and Abuja.
- In addition to the communications and advocacy support of this role, the IRC Nigeria has a five year strategy plan which is developed based upon the broader IRC2020 five year strategic plan.
- While this position will be predominately focused on communications and advocacy, the Manager will also support the on-going implementation, monitoring, reporting, and contribute to the overall management and oversight of the IRC Nigeria’s adherence to its SAP and it’s five year implementation plan.
- Design and implement a country program communication strategy
- Work with the program teams, and local partner organizations, to develop visibility and communications plans for various projects
- Take an active role and where possible lead in organizing media outreach and public events including international celebrations as and whenever organized by field teams.
- Create and maintain internal system, including contact lists, diaries of upcoming events and opportunities in which the IRC can actively participate and engage locally, national and regional/internationally.
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with Nigerian media outlets and maintain a database of Nigerian media contacts including international media staff based in Nigeria
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and to draw lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on Lebanese media coverage issues relevant to the IRC’s program work.
- Work with program sector leads to develop and produce IRC information and communication materials such as brochures, newsletters, press releases, contribution to global IRC website and updates, and other publications as well as supporting journalist and other high profile visits.
- To produce digital content (stories, photos, blogs, videos) to be used on the IRC and other websites and to liaise with relevant staff at regional and HQ level to maximize the use of the contents generated.
- Assist in training program staff on communication strategies and facilitate development of success stories, lessons learned, personal experiences (blogs), etc from field-based program staff
- Provide briefing papers and situational reports as well as support NY and UK communications departments in development of external communication tools for stakeholders both in and out of country on the IRC’s work in Nigeria.
- In collaboration with program coordinators and DDP, draft communications and advocacy material for different thematic sector priorities, including newsletters, reports, and talking points for senior management.
- Design and implement a country program advocacy strategy
- To regularly visit the IRC programs and partner organizations to ensure a direct link between program work and advocacy work, and to identify and generate high quality advocacy pieces with the support of IRC advocacy team.
- To build relationships with advocacy colleagues in other organizations (eg NGOs, UN agencies), to coordinate and collaborate on advocacy pieces.
- Design and lead advocacy trainings for IRC staff and partners
- Engage with program staff to identify high priority needs of population requiring advocacy focus and intervention
Strategy Action Plan (SAP):
- Lead the review process of all SAP milestones in the implementation plan and coordinate with relevant staff for execution
- Will be the focal point person for all initiatives being devised for piloting in Nigeria as part of the SAP
- Lead the process for periodic SAP review and document lessons learnt and best practices
- Ensure ongoing SAP socialization processes and initiatives are instituted for all IRC Nigeria staff
- As needed, provide support to Grants Managers in regards to proposal development, donor reporting, and other grants requirements.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (Journalism, Policy, etc)
- Ability to write clear and concise reports, statements, etc and to meet short deadlines
- Experience training and capacity building other staff in principles of advocacy and media
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Competence with Windows, Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in unstable security environments
- Previous experience working with international partners, in particular UN, INGOs, as well as local partners
- Fluent written and spoken English required
- Excellent oral and written skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communications and advocacy materials
- Previous experience working in communications and/or advocacy field
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange). The candidate should be prepared to work in insecure environments.
- This is a non-accompanied position. The Communications and Advocacy Manager will live in shared housing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply