July 2016 Job Opportunity in Port Harcourt for a Transportation Manager
Ongoing Recruitment: Port Harcourt for a Transportation Manager
Job Title: Transportation Manager
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Supervision: Reporting to the Depot Manager
- We require an energetic, innovative and dynamic Transport Manager with a proven track record in managing a highly competitive commercial operation in a fast paced oil and gas environment.
- This candidate will lead and motivate the entire transport team and be responsible for looking after all vehicles in the fleet which run on a 24 hour basis.
- He/she will therefore be on call at irregular hours and at weekends to deal with any urgent matters arising.
- The ideal candidate should easily demonstrate experience of effectively running a successful transport function in a high pressure environment and will be responsible for the transport and distribution operations and also for providing excellent standards of service, safety, efficiency and performance through outstanding people management skills.
- In charge of the day to day operations of the transport department.
- Efficiently managing a team of drivers and vehicles.
- Maintaining accurate vehicle administrative records.
- Organizing regular vehicle checks.
- Identifying operational issues, potential problems and opportunities.
- Resolving and managing queries and complaints courteously and efficiently.
- Appraising staff performance and also recommending disciplinary measures whenever required
- Responsible for all vehicle accident investigations.
- Supervise schedules of truck loading, movements, drivers’ activities, and maintain log books for all company vehicles.
- Responsible for all of the dispatching, routing, and tracking of delivery vehicles.
- Ensuring company compliance with all Government transport policies, legislation and procedures
- Managing, monitoring and developing a team of drivers and line managers.
- Initiating all vehicle maintenance activities in conjunction with maintenance manager to meet safety, service reliability, scheduling and monetary budgets.
- Engage in the induction and training of all new staff and retraining of existing ones.
- Regularly liaising with the logistics manager to ensure a smooth running of both departments.
- The ideal candidate must be holders of a good Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical or Automobile Engineering with at least eight years cognate experience in managing fleet of trucks in the oil and gas industry, three of which must be at management level.
- An MBA degree will be an added advantage.
- Age range: 30 – 40 years
- Able to operate effectively in a high volume service driven transport operation.
- Knowledgeable in all process compliance areas including; Legislative, Productivity, Quality, safety and Service delivery.
- Full understanding of Transport Operational Systems.
- Able to work diplomatically in a unionized environment.
- Possessing a good understanding of all relevant legal compliance and fleet controls.
- Strong technical background that will aid accurate diagnosis of vehicle problems for quick resolutions
- Able to multiply tasks at different levels.
- Strong communication and analytical skills.
- Problem solving and prioritizing skills.
- Man management skills.
- Transport operations, Staff appraisals, Eye for details, Safety compliance, Planning and
- Scheduling, Vehicle maintenance, Route/Itinerary planning, People management.
The remuneration attached to this position is excellent but negotiable, above industry average and able to attract and motivate the right candidate.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should send their resume to: email@example.com
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.