April 2016 Job at UNDP Nigeria for a Project Associate, Counter-Terrorism and Livelihoods
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively.
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Associate, Counter-Terrorism and Livelihoods
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-3
Duration of Initial Contract: year
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Nigeria has embarked on two new Japanese-Funded Projects to promote livelihoods and social cohesion and to assist national institutions in addressing the subjects of extremism and irregular migration in North-East Nigeria.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Associate, Counter-Terrorism, the Programme Associate ensures the effective delivery of the CO programme by entering and managing data and supporting programme implementation consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- He/she works in close collaboration with the operations, programmes and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support to the formulation of the livelihoods/ counter-terrorism programme strategies and implementation of the relevant components of the Country Programme
- Support to management of the CO Livelihoods and Counter-Terrorism Projects
- Administrative support to the Livelihoods and Counter-Terrorism Projects
- Support to resource mobilization
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Support to the formulation of livelihoods and counter-terrorism programme strategies and implementation of the relevant components in the Country Programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, programme work plans and effective application of ERBM tools and establishment of management targets;
- Presentation of background information for formulation of country programme, draft project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements;
Supports the management of the CO Livelihoods and Counter-Terrorism Projects, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Creation of a project in ATLAS, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project;
- Provision of guidance to the implementing agencies on routine implementation of projects;
- Presentation of information for audit of NIM projects, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
Administrative support to the Livelihoods and Counter-Terrorism Projects focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Review of NIM projects Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Creation of requisitions in ATLAS for development projects, register of goods receipt in ATLAS;
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
Supports resource mobilization focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile;
- Track and report on mobilized resources. Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in ATLAS
- Supporting the CO Resource Mobilization efforts.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ project staff;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNDAF/ CPD goals, as they relate to the promotion of livelihoods and social cohesion. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Analysis and creation of messages and strategies:
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
- Client Orientation
- Establishing effective client relationships
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client:
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization and creating synergies, through self-control
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a Team player and facilitating teamwork
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member:
- Informed, fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in the Social Sciences, Law, Peace and Conflict Studies, Development or related field.
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills and should also be culturally and politically sensitive in the work with counterparts and be able to work at all levels.
- Languages Required: English
- 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th April, 2016 (Midnight New York, USA)