October 2016 Job Recent Voluntary Service Overseas for National Graduate Volunteers
We are looking: National Graduate Volunteer in Kwara
understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Graduate Volunteer
Employer: Voluntary Services Overseas – Nigeria Country Office (VSON)
Duration: 6 Months
- The National Graduate Volunteer Programme (NGVP) in Kwara State aims to support the VSO Nigeria and Kwara State Ministry of Education’s partnership to improve quality of education in Kwara.
- The role mainly involves the application of student centred methodology in delivery of lessons, as well as the development and application of core 21st century skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creativity.
- The candidate will also work as Team Lead for and with other VSO NYSC Volunteers in implementing of VSO School Based Projects and Enterprises.
- The NGV will teach specific subjects to Senior Secondary School students in rural communities public schools, with particular emphasis on Science, Mathematics and English Language.
- Work as a teacher in specific subject(s) (as determined by School Principal) for your entire period of placement in school of placement.
- Actively engage with all key stakeholders in communities who will support activities of SBTs (SBMCs, PTAs, etc) and contribute to the overall success of the programme.
- Participate in and provide feedback to VSO, Kwara State Ministry of Education and the NGO partners, OCDI on all capacity building activities in the programme.
- All other responsibilities and commitments as adjusted to the need of the school by VSO/OCDI/Kwara State Ministry of Education Nigeria and based on emerging priorities of the partnership.
- Due to the nature of our volunteer placements, it is possible that the responsibilities of this role may differ in reality and therefore the post holder will need to be prepared to be flexible and adapt to their environment as necessary.
- Lead the VSO School Based Teams (SBTs), consisting of all VSO NYSC volunteers in school of placement to deliver projects/activities that promote 21st century skills among secondary school students.
- Planning, executing and reporting on weekly (via Whatsapp) and monthly (Written Reports) activities of School Based Teams (SBTs) in school of placement. Contribute case studies to periodic programme publications.
- Develop extra-curricular activities in schools and act as a positive role model in the school and your community.
Key Performance Indicators
- Improved performances of students in the core subject areas.
- SBT engagements with school communities, verifiable projects implemented by SBTs, visible impact of projects on students and school management
- Visible extra-curricular activities led by NGVs.
- Community support (tangible or intangible) mobilised for school projects.
- Improved capacity in teaching methods and 21st century skills development. Physical presence at all relevant VSO capacity building programmes in Kwara state.
- Verifiable level of engagement via media chat, feedback from school projects, feedback on teaching activities and students performance, contributions to programme publications.
Objectives will be confirmed in a three way discussion between the volunteer, employer and VSO in the first three months of the placement.
Building and Sustaining working relationships
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to thinking clearly, deeply and broadly – Essential
- Actively pursue innovation & change – Essential
- Familiar with current education sector programming – Desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to vary communication content and style to suit audiences to inform, motivate and inspire – Essential
- Ability to give feed back through social media, emails, etc. – Essential
- Ability to speak Yoruba and have experience living and working in South West, Nigeria – Desirable
- Practicing gender & cultural diversity – Essential
- Strong skills for relating and working with children of senior secondary school age – Essential
- Ability to take initiatives, team player who is able to work with minimum supervision – Essential
- Allowance and accommodation
- All volunteers have an allowance paid in local currency. The allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
- VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Interview/Assessment Date(s) 11th October, 2016.
Start Date 17th October, 2016
Application Deadline 11th October, 2016.