April 2016 Communication Officer Job Career at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters,
shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Title: Communication Officer
Vacancy Notice No: HQ/16/FWC/TA57
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration of contract: 12 months
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PMNCH) aligns and engages global stakeholders in support of the Every Woman Every Child movement and coordinates the unified Global Accountability Framework. Mobilising its diverse network of over 700 partners, and through its core functions (Alignment, Analysis, Accountability, and Advocacy), the Partnership aspires to contribute to all the targets set out under the Global Strategy for Women’s Children’s and Adolescents Health three objectives – Survive, Thrive and Transform. The Partnership pays particular attention to lagging, marginalised, and excluded opulations and those in humanitarian conflict and fragile settings. The strategic objectives of the partnership are shaped by its core functions, bounded by its values and guiding principles, and respond to the SDG imperative to leave no one behind. The strategic objectives have been identified
as those where collective action is most needed to drive efficiency and effectiveness. This core value directly drives each strategic objective. SO1: Prioritise engagement in countries SO2 : Drive accountability SO3 : Focus action for results SO4: Deepen Partnership .
The position is required to lead the development and delivery of the Partnership’s communication strategy and to promote the objectives of the PMNCH 2016-2020 Strategic Plan by working with internal and external stakeholders. The position is needed to coordinate the delivery of Partnership events, communication products and messages to support partners working together to deliver results across the 2016-2018 Business Plan. The role is a senior management position within the Partnership.
Description of duties:
Under the broad guidance of the Executive Director, the incumbent takes the communications strategy and communication activities to ensure effective positioning of the Partnership and to deliver the results articulated in the Business Plan. The Communications Officer manages a small team of staff and consultants, and works in close coordination with the wider Partnership secretariat team to take forward the development and delivery of the PMNCH communication related products. S(he) works with a wide range of internal (e.g. Department of communications) and external stakeholders (non-state actors such as civil society, NGOs) The incumbent is expected to take independent decisions in the context of their core work, referring to the supervisory line as needed for guidance.
Summary of duties:
1. To develop an innovative communication strategy for the Partnership.
2. To lead the implementation of the communication strategy.
3. Provide communications strategy and support to the Partnership, manage media relations, and develop communication materials, including information notes, press releases, brochures and the annual progress reports.
4. To oversee the development and the updating/editing of the PMNCH website in collaboration with partners and technical experts.
5. Oversee and provide advice to update PMNCHs social media strategy and social media presence.
6. Oversee the editing of technical content, e.g. feature stories, web updates of a technical nature.
7. Manage the planning of non-governance events to deliver the PMNCH Strategic Plan.
8. Manage Secretariat staff and consultants working on communications.
9. Perform all other related duties as assigned.
An advanced university degree in communications, public health, and/or international relations.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually.
1. Knowledge of communication and media strategies, concepts and practices.
2. Command of the English language, excellent writing skills and ability to draft and edit complex substantive material rapidly and accurately.
3. Ability to evaluate research findings and complex evidence, and develop communications messages and audiences.
4. Demonstrated organizational, coordination and communications skills.
5. Ability to manage complex series of competing priorities; ability to prioritize.
6. Knowledge of the public health issues in the field of Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn Child and Adolescent Health (SRMNCAH).
At least 7 years’ relevant experience in public health or similar development-related communications, and/or health policy/governance communications. Demonstrated experience working in public health areas which involve SRMNCAH or are cross-cutting with SRMNCAH. Experience of working with, and coordinating with non-state actors in the field of public health. Experience in writing strategy documents, documents for external dissemination. Experience in managing web platforms. Experience in producing hard and soft copy communications documents, and the relevant production process.
Demonstrated experience in social media platforms, experience of working in low income countries. Communications work experience within a UN agency setting.
Expert knowledge of English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply